...means many things to many people. To me it means always being courteous (or at least attempting to be), defending those who can't defend themselves, standing strong and setting an example for your friends and loved ones (even when it is hard), and being honourable in all things. However I am human and sometimes I do, say, or think things I should not and thus I fail in my pursuit of chivalry. In these instances I often reconcile by learning my lesson and avoiding those actions, words, or thoughts in the future. However there are times that reconciling with myself is not enough, reconciling with God is not enough, but the one sure way to heal this wound of doubt is to receive forgiveness from those I feel I have wronged. Even if I have not actually wronged them. I would never call into question the honor of a fellow warrior, a fellow fighter, and a fellow pursuant of chivalry at least not intentionally. However I am a fool and I feel that I have done so. May I be forgiven these trespasses.
With Sincerity, Brandon (Sigmund)
Very well spoken. This is an excellent pursuit and is one of the pillars of the SCA. It is the main reason many of us joined because in the modern world, the pursuit of chivalry is not always in the forefront.
ReplyDeletechivalry is very important to me, and I don't think you have a clear understanding of what it is. To ask a gods forgiveness is easy, the gods do not feel pain or show disapproval, disagree etc. You say "Even if I have not actually wronged them." If you don't feel like you have wronged them then what is the point exactly? You say that you need to receive forgiveness from the one you haven't wronged.. Maybe instead of posting this paragraph on what chivalry means to you, a text message or letter (to the person you wronged) showing a sincere regret would be more appropriate. I am a outsider to the situation, but this looks like a schoolboys assignment given in punishment for misbehavior. In my opinion this has no bearing on chivalry which is a way of life in which you view every action you make from all sides possible in order to make no action that harms another except in defense of those who have just claim, great need, especially those weaker or disenfranchised. Chivalry is helping little old ladies carry their groceries.. or volunteering to read to kids in hospitals. Chivalry is protesting in front of racist businesses when your white. Chivalry is volunteering to work on a Gay marriage bill when your strait. Chivalry isn't posting a blog to say what a chivalrous person you are when you have acted inapropriately rather than making a public apology (or private one) to the person you have wronged.
ReplyDeleteYou end your paragraph asking your gods forgiveness even though earlier in the letter you said A) you did nothing wrong and B) reconciling with your god would not be enough. Perhaps that should be re-worded to make more sense.
Good luck on the path to Chivalry, it is a lifelong journey and a hard road to keep.