Thursday, July 23, 2009

Jeopardy

As a member of a sports team, I can attest to the fact that being a part of a team can be stressful sometimes. More specifically when it comes to paintball. As all paintballers or at least committed paintballers know, your goggles are the most important piece of kit you own. They protect your eyes from incoming paintballs and make it so you can see to play another day. Since they ride on your face all freaking day they should be comfortable. Now this is where that team thing comes in, when you're a member of a paintball team one way to make sure you know who's who is to wear the same stuff, including goggles. My team has decided to start using V-Force Grillz, these are an excellent goggle system in their own right and are used throughout the world by informed paintballers. However I use the Vents Avatar, the slightly cheaper cousin of the Empire E-Vent. This has come into conflict with some members of my team. These people see my goggle choice as something that jeopardizes the team in the field. My Vents used to be a really cool looking red pair and I sacrificed that for the team, painting over the red with OD. Yet still my goggles seem to present a danger to the team, somehow. Now some members of Edge Zero seem to believe that we are super uber tactical and completely invisible or at least need to be and this is not true. First things first if you move you can be seen, that simple so having perfect camo counts for crap if you move. I am not going to sit in one spot all game and wait so blending doesn't matter much does it? Now referring to the above statement about the goggles you wear being comfortable, many find the Grillz to be exceedingly comfortable, I do not. The foam on the inside of the Grillz feels like a dry kitchen sponge, in fact all V-Force masks in recent years have switched from nice comfy soft foam to dry kitchen sponge foam. Vents and E-Vents however have nice comfy soft foam like the V-Force goggles used to have, but apparently V-Force though that was just too good and had to go screw it up with your good old dry sponge. Also goggles are the one personal statement a member of a team can make, they reflect the wearer. The design of the mask is important, while the Grillz have an aggressive styling, which I like, the problem comes from the fact that they make you look like a giant bug instead of an unstoppable killing machine. Personally I don't want to look like something that should be killed with RAID. Now comes my position on goggles. I have decided that I will attempt to match the color scheme of the team, but I will be doing so with the Invert Avatar (the twin brother of my Vents). The Inverts do just that, OD Vents have a black rubber face with small plastic OD grill where the venting is, the inverts change this by having the OD cover the majority of the mask leaving black where the venting is.
As such:
Photobucket
This is easily modified in order to have desert tan where the black is thus matching the team color scheme while still being my mask of choice. Of course the majority of the team Grillz is desert tan and mine will be a color inversion, but it still gets the job done excellently and matches colors reasonably well.
The team Grillz are as such:
Photobucket
Now I'm done goggle ranting. Any and all comments can be directed to the complaint department.
Complaint Department Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment